|This article is about a current or upcoming project.|
Information may be added and/or changed as further updates become available.
If you see something missing, you can help the wiki by updating the article.
Duck Stab! Alive! is a streaming TV special by The Residents, produced in collaboration with video artist John Sanborn for the 40th anniversary special of the music program Night Flight, which aired on the streaming platform NFTV on June 5th 2021.
The special (and its soundtrack) is expected to be released as a double 10" vinyl and DVD set on Grand Chess Records on December 10th 2021. This release will be limited to 3000 copies.
Duck Stab! Alive!, described by The Cryptic Corporation as "a super slick video concert featuring all new versions of (the) classic album Duck Stab!", was conceived and filmed by The Residents in the midst of repeated delays of their tour Dog Stab! during the COVID-19 pandemic of 2019-2021.
The special was the headlining instalment of the 40th anniversary episode of the long-running music program Night Flight, to be aired on its streaming service NFTV. The Residents had been asked to contribute to the episode in light of their long association with the program.
The episode also featured contributions from musical acts Plack Blague and Def Rain, profiles of record labels Sacred Bones and Mexican Summer, and the documentary films The Decline of Western Civilization (Parts 1 through 3) and Sun Ra Meets John Cage.
The performances took place on May 20th and May 21st at 25th Street Recording in Oakland, California, and were filmed by John Sanborn (with director of photography Frazer Bradshaw). The group performed all tracks from Duck Stab!/Buster & Glen except for "The Booker Tease", and four tracks from the album were performed as medleys ("Laughing Song" / "Bach Is Dead" and "The Electrocutioner" / "Constantinople"). It was easy for The Residents to perform the Duck Stab! tracks live-in-the-studio, as they had already been rehearsing a number of them for the postponed Dog Stab! tour.
Sanborn supplied video art which was projected onto a screen behind the group as they performed; these videos feature excerpts from past and recent Residents video projects, such as the music videos for "Hello Skinny", "The Simple Song" and "This Is A Man's Man's Man's World", as well as footage of performer Jiz Lee from God In 3 Persons Live.
The finished special (edited by Sanborn and Roger Jones) was delivered to Night Flight on June 1st 2021, and was released on NFTV four days later, on June 5th.
I Am A Resident! 2021
To promote the special, fans were asked to record a video of themselves lip syncing to a new version of "Constantinople" as part of a campaign titled "I Am A Resident! 2021" (a follow-up of sorts to The Residents' 2018 collaborative project I Am A Resident!).
The videos were uploaded to YouTube under the hashtag #IAmAResident2021. Submissions to the campaign closed on May 10th 2021. Forty-six of the submitted videos were selected by The Residents and John Sanborn, and interpolated into the performance of "Constantinople" which closes the special. (This were an instrumental demo, and differed from the live in studio version which were released)
- Intro (0:23)
- Lizard Lady (2:22)
- Blue Rosebud (3:58)
- Laughing Song (2:17)
- Bach Is Dead (0:35)
- Sinister Exaggerator (3:36)
- Weight Lifting Lulu (2:49)
- Krafty Cheese (2:02)
- Elvis & His Boss (1:00)
- Birthday Boy (2:03)
- Semolina (4:11)
- Hello Skinny (2:38)
- The Electrocutioner (1:38)
- Constantinople (3:49)
- Starring The Residents
- Directed by John Sanborn
- Produced by Starr Sutherland
- Executive Producers: Carsten Hess and Guido Randzio for Grand Chess Records
- Written and Performed by The Residents
- Director of Photography: Frazer Bradshaw
- Edited by Roger Jones and John Sanborn
- Audio Engineer: Gabriel Shepard
- Recorded at 25th Street Recording, Oakland, CA
- Audio Mix by Eric Drew Feldman and Gabriel Shepard
- Camera Operators: Jason Joseffer, Tijana Petrovic, Alex Zajicek
- DIT: Tim Assavarat
- Gaffer: Frank Silva
- Grips: Ryan Moore and Mila Puccini
- Production Assistant: Danielle Bacanskas
- Photographers: Henrik Kam and Roger Jones
- Costumes designed by Poor Know Graphics
- Costumes constructed by Laura Hazett and Jamielyn Duggan
- Dance Master: Jamielyn Duggan
- Dancers: KJ Dahlaw, Caitlin Hicks, Erin Yen
- Contributions from Agrimorfee, Alice Michael McCartney, AreaaS4, Ave and Awair Kutzs, Bonnie and Morgan, Cake Boy, Carbaniol, Catscan!, Chesty Vulva, Comrade Squelch, Crapp, Dies-Ist-Meine-Zaehne, Dixon Wragg and Kimberly, dnmmy / justin, Electronic Sausage, Esoterica, Fickles The Clown, Gli Inquilini, Goo & Fatty, Gretnoid & JohnX, Jeff Kolter, Jessica McDevitt & Chris Delisle, Jonathon Lamb, Julez and Danny Riggs, Kingda K_, kutzs kidz, LD From, Manuel Aparicio, Master B. Wallace, NyQ, Palo Alto, Radioactive Chicken Heads, Rhetro Zenberg, Schüniac, Silvio Martin, Sir Pasto Primero, Stefan G, strangelucid, The Brown Resident, The Head Weirdo (Jeremy X.), The LaBrakes, Thrusty Rhodes and Musty Scrhodes, TwistedRichie, velocipedjones, Wes Broske (WB), Z eb
- Special thanks to MVD and Cherry Red Records for all their support
- Dedicated to Hardy Fox, the original Sinister Exaggerator
- For more about The Residents visit Residents.com
- Copyright 2021 The Cryptic Corporation
|Duck Stab!/Buster & Glen|
Side A: Duck Stab!