- 1 Welcome
- 2 Navigation
- 3 Recent and upcoming releases
- 4 Upcoming live shows
- 5 External links and references
- 6 Buy Or Die!
- 7 In memoriam
- 8 Something missing?
Welcome to Meet The Residents Wiki, an unofficial guide to North Louisiana's Phenomenal Pop Combo!
For almost 50 years, The Residents have existed at the forefront of virtually every new technology in sound, video, performance and interactive media - all while operating under a veil of obscurity and anonymity.
Since January 2017, this wiki (based largely on the sources listed below) has aimed to provide a comprehensive historical resource and reference point for both casual and obsessive fans of The Residents. It also includes information on related entities such as The Cryptic Corporation and Ralph Records.
You can begin your journey through the wiki either by using the search bar to the upper right hand side of the page, the quick links in the "explore", "contents" and "recent projects" tabs in the navigation menu at the top of the screen, or the links under the "navigation" heading below.
Discography | Live shows | Videography | Soundtracks | Interactive media | Bibliography
Studios | Disguises | Identities | Aliases | Unfinished projects | Tribute albums
Recent and upcoming releases
pREServed Phase Two
- The most recent release in The Residents and Cherry Red Records ongoing pREServed archival reissue series is a three-disc Gingerbread Man set (which also features the soundtrack album Hunters and other contemporary material, including the recently unearthed "Fat Boy" demo). It was released May 28th 2021, alongside a limited edition vinyl release of the album.
- Leftovers Again?!, a compilation containing the first of the group's lockdown-induced "multi-track explorations" and other rarities (including a seven-and-a-half minute "concentrate" of the 1970 demo Rusty Coathangers for the Doctor) was released on Record Store Day (June 12th) 2021, in a pressing of 1300 vinyl copies.
- Other expected releases in the pREServed series in 2021 include an expanded edition of Have A Bad Day, a five or six disc Wormwood set (due around November, alongside a double LP reissue of the album), and an expanded Icky Flix collection (which was previously issued as a limited edition vinyl release for Record Store Day 2020).
- A mail-order series of limited edition vinyl releases of pREServed studio outtakes (such as 1-10 (With A Touch of 11), German Slide Music, X Is For Xtra, "extended drone experiments", and "multi-track explorations" of albums including The Third Reich 'n Roll and Commercial Album) is expected to commence at an unspecified date in the near future.
- The American Composers Box, featuring the two American Composers albums and various contemporary material, is also expected for release at an unknown time in the near future. This set has been repeatedly delayed, due to rights issues surrounding "one key element" of the set which are still unresolved.
- A streaming TV special, titled Duck Stab! Alive!, aired on Night Flight Plus as part of its 40th anniversary celebration on June 5th 2021. The special, directed by The Residents and John Sanborn, is a "super slick video concert" featuring all-new versions of the tracks from the 1978 album Duck Stab!/Buster & Glen. It also included a segment created from fan-made videos for a new version of "Constantinople". These fan videos were commissioned by The Residents as part of their I Am A Resident! 2021 campaign.
- The special and its soundtrack will be released as a limited edition double 10" vinyl and DVD set on Grand Chess Records at an undisclosed time later in 2021.
- The Residents are in post-production on their feature film Triple Trouble, having completed shooting over ten days in lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 with the assistance of long-time collaborator John Sanborn. They are hoping to complete the film by the end of September 2021 for submission to the Sundance Film Festival, with further screenings on the festival circuit to follow thereafter.
- Triple Trouble will also be accompanied by a soundtrack album entitled Endless Illusions, which is currently being recorded by The Residents. The album is expected to be released alongside the film.
- Klanggalerie reissued the Robot Selling Device compilation albums Morning Music and el Año del Muerto on April 16th 2021. These are the first physical releases of these two compilations.
- A compilation of demo recordings for The Residents' Wonder of Weird tour, The Wonder of Weird Demos, is expected for release on Klanggalerie in November 2021.
- A compilation of unreleased Hardy Fox material entitled Fragments & Failures was originally scheduled to be released on Klanggalerie in early 2021, but was delayed by the label in favor of the Charles Bobuck compilation Oddities 2013-2015. Fragments & Failures is still expected for release at an unspecified time in the future.
- The Residents' second run of latex eyeball masks, manufactured by SikRik Masks, are now available to order on the MVD Shop for American customers only. As of August 2021, blue and green have sold out and only red is available through MVD. International customers can instead order the masks directly from the manufacturer.
- Two Residents releases were released at the end of March 2021 by Secret Records; Bunny Boy Live In Frankfurt (previously unreleased) on black marble vinyl, blue marble vinyl and CD, and a reissue of Ozark (never before released on vinyl) with new cover art on "doublemint/baby pink" or "swamp green/mustard with red splatter" colored vinyl.
- The Charles Bobuck Residents cover album Bobuck Plays The Residents was reissued March 26th 2021 by Psychofon Records, in a special collectors' vinyl edition. The release was sold in two variations; colored vinyl (100 copies) and multi-color splatter vinyl (73 hand-numbered copies).
- Italian record label Radiation Reissues has reissued Eskimo on cassette for the first time since 1987; the new edition was released May 28th 2021.
- Modern Harmonic has reissued the mono version of Meet The Residents on vinyl in a limited edition of 500 opaque lime green copies, available only through their website. This pressing was released July 1st 2021.
- A second vinyl reissue of Meet The Residents has appeared, a limited edition blue and black swirl variant from Newbury Comics, available exclusively through online retailer Vinceron. This reissue was released July 31st 2021.
- Publisher Melodic Virtue are compiling material from The Cryptic Corporation archives for a hardcover coffee table book focusing on the art and history of The Residents. This book is currently expected to be released around the holiday season in 2021, but no further details have been confirmed as yet.
Upcoming live shows
After having been delayed repeatedly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and then having all but three American dates cancelled, The Residents' Dog Stab! tour has finally commenced, with the debut performance at the Regent Theater in Los Angeles going ahead as scheduled on September 15th.
Two further September shows in California are still planned to go ahead at this time, at the Castro in San Francisco on the 17th, and the Rio in Santa Cruz on the 18th. After this, the tour is currently expected to continue in Europe in January 2022.
The following information is current as of September 16th 2021:
First leg (USA)
- September 17th 2021 - The Castro Theater, San Francisco, California
- September 18th 2021 - The Rio Theater, Santa Cruz, California
Second leg (Europe and UK)
- January 21st 2022 - Melkweg, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- January 22nd 2022 - Zeche Carl, Essen, Germany
- January 24th 2022 - Mousonturm, Frankfurt, Germany
- January 25th 2022 - Flex, Wien, Austria
- January 26th 2022 - Palac Akropolis, Prague, Czech Republic
- January 27th 2022 - Stary Klasztor, Wroclaw, Poland
- January 28th 2022 - B 90, Gdansk, Poland
- January 30th 2022 - Columbia Theater, Berlin, Germany
- February 2nd 2022 - Loppen, Copenhagen, Denmark
- February 3rd 2022 - Rockefeller, Oslo, Norway
- February 4th 2022 - Bølgen, Larvik, Norway
- February 6th 2022 - Botanique, Brussels, Belgium
- February 8th 2022 - Union Chapel, London, England
- February 9th 2022 - St Georges, Bristol, England
- February 10th 2022 - Boiler Shop, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
- February 11th 2022 - Button Factory, Dublin, Ireland
- February 12th 2022 - Leeds Irish Centre, Leeds, England
- February 14th 2022 - The Savoy Theatre, Helsinki, Finland
The Residents and John Sanborn expect to bring their theatrical adaptation of the album God In Three Persons to Europe in summer 2022, with an expanded set list featuring three additional songs not heard in the earlier performances.
- The Residents Official Website
- The Residents Historical
- The Cryptic Corporation Official Website
- The Residents on Facebook
- The Residents on YouTube
- The Residents on Instagram
- The Residents on Twitter
- Ralph America Official Website (defunct 2011)
- Hacienda Bridge (Hardy Fox / Charles Bobuck) (defunct 2018)
- RZWeb (defunct 2004)
- The Moles' Bach Is Dead Discography and Virtual Museum (defunct 2011)
- The Talk of Creatures forum
- The Residents unofficial Facebook group
- Ralph Records unofficial Facebook group
- Mr. Riggsy's ResTube on YouTube
- The Residents on Wikipedia
- Buy Or Die! The Official Residents Online Shop
- The Residents on Cherry Red Records
- The Residents on Psychofon Records
- Secret Records on Bandcamp
- Klanggalerie on Bandcamp
- The Residents on Amazon (see also The Residents Amazon author page)
- The Residents on Discogs
- Ralph Records on Discogs
- Ralphlet Outlet on Bandcamp
Meet The Residents Wiki is compiled and maintained by fans for fans, and has not been officially endorsed by The Residents, The Cryptic Corporation, or their record labels. Although we attempt to derive as much information as possible from official sources, some information seen in these pages may nevertheless be missing, incorrect, outdated, or apocryphal.
You can help us to improve the wiki by signing up as a Fandom user and helping to create and edit our articles. You can also drop into our Discord server to chat with the administrators, moderators and contributors. If you are intending to contribute to the wiki, please also take the time to read our user rules.