Shadowland was a performance tour by The Residents, beginning in 2014 and ending in 2016.
The third part of the group's Randy, Chuck and Bob Trilogy of tours, Shadowland is notable for being the final tour to feature long-time producer Hardy Fox and composer Charles Bobuck performing with the group.
The performance focuses on themes of birth and rebirth.
The tour began on May 2nd 2014, in Gent, Belgium. Their March 20th 2015 show would be the last with Charles Bobuck, who later revealed himself to be Hardy Fox. Their August 6th show at the OFF Festival would be their first performance to feature a new member, Rico, who was related to Charles in some unknown way.
The tour finished on July 2nd 2016.
Shadowland's set list was divided into seven sections, each focusing on a different album from the group's back catalogue.
- Rabbit Habit
- Fever Dreams
- Golden Guy
Following these three tracks, a film plays on the screen behind the group featuring "The Butcher" from their 1994 album Gingerbread Man.
- Herman the Human Mole
- Harry the Head
- Benny the Bouncing Bump
A second film follows this suite of tracks, featuring a Libertine performing "Almost Perfect" from the 2006 album Tweedles! as a monologue.
The Garbage Man
However after Rico replaced Bobuck the setlist for this segment was changed to:
- They Are The Meat
- Is He Really Bringing Roses?
Following this is another film featuring a man telling a story of his past life as a garbage man.
Then the group perform a suite of three songs from the 1978 album Duck Stab!/Buster & Glen:
Randy Rose plays drums on "Constantinople", which did not feature during 2014 performances. Following this suite of tracks a film is shown on the screen featuring a diver talking about her death and reincarnation.
The group then perform three songs from their Commercial Album:
The Shadowland version of "My Second Wife" features an additional verse not heard in the original, with the following lyrics:
"When I was young my Father's Wife insisted that the sun,
Was oblivious and said that this could not be overcome.
Ed did not believe her, so she ran away instead,
Of feeding little animals, more meaningless than dead."
The film following this suite of tracks features the mother of a famous model, jealous of her daughter's success.
During Charles Bobuck's time with the band, there was a segment dedicated to the group's 2002 album Demons Dance Alone, however this suite was removed from the setlist following his departure from the group. This section featured:
- Betty's Body
- Mickey Macaroni
The film that followed this suite features an engineer.
The following segment features no particular theme, or film following the performance. It went through some changes after the retirement of Bobuck. "Is He Really Bringing Roses?" was dropped from this segment when Rico joined the group.
- Is He Really Bringing Roses?
- Melon Collie Lassie
- Hard and Tenderly
- Ship Of Fools
For the encore, The Residents perform the following two tracks:
- The Making of a Soul
- Forty-Four No More
|The wiki has a page dedicated to this topic.|
For more information, read this article.
On March 10th 2015, a live album was released by the group featuring a recording of an early Shadowland show in Nantes, France. This live recording is considerably shortened, not containing any of the Shadow Stories and removing some of the tracks from the set list, including:
- Randy Rose: Lead Vocals, Drums (2016 Shows only)
- Charles Bobuck: Drums Computer (2014 - 2015)
- Lionel Bob: Guitar
- Rico: Keyboards (2015 - 2016)
- N.Cook: Guest
- N. de Rooji: Lighting Design
- H. Fokker: Tour Manager
- M. Postma: Merchandise
- Creeping Mac Kroki: Shadowland Photos
- The Cryptic Corporation: Producer
- G. Arts: Sound Designer
- The Residents: Written-By, Performer
First Leg (with Charles Bobuck)
- May 2nd 2014: Vooruit, Gent, Belgium
- May 3rd 2014: Paard van Troje, Den Haag, Netherlands
- May 4th 2014: Zakk, Dusseldorf, Germany
- May 5th 2014: Grabenhalle, Gallen, Switzerland
- May 6th 2014 Les Docks, Laussanne, Switzerland
- May 8th 2014: Barby, Tel Aviv, Israel
- May 10th 2014: Le Lieu Unique, Nantes, France
Second Leg (with Charles Bobuck)
- March 12th 2015: Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz, California
- March 20th 2015: Paramount Theater, Austin, Texas (Bobuck's last show)
Third Leg (with Rico)
- August 6th 2015: OFF Festival, Katowice, Poland
- September 8th 2015: Forum des Images, Paris, France
- September 9th 2015: Forum des Images, Paris, France (professionally filmed, sound excerpts released on the Commercial Album pREServed edition)
- September 14th 2015: Nescafe, Santiago, Chile
- September 17th 2015: Popload Gig, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- September 18th 2015: Niceto, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Fourth Leg (with Rico)
- January 28th 2016: Doornroosje, Nijmegen, Netherlands
- January 29th 2016: Ziegel Oh Lac, Zurich, Switzerland
- January 30th 2016: FRI-SON, Fribourg, Switzerland
- February 1st 2016: Mousonturm, Frankfurt, Germany
- February 3rd 2016: Arena, Wien, Austria
- February 4th 2016: Mochvara, Zagreb, Republic of Croatia
- February 5th 2016: Palac Akropolis, Prague, Czech Republic
- February 6th 2016: S-Club, Olomouc, Czech Republic
- February 7th 2016: Beatpol, Drsden, Germany
- February 8th 2016: Columbia Theater, Berlin, Germany
- February 9th 2016: Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
- February 10th 2016: Kampnagel, Hamburg, Germany
- February 12th 2016: Hackney Empire, London, England
- February 13th 2016: Tivoli Vredenburg, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Fifth Leg (With Rico)
- March 23rd 2016: The Croxton, Melbourne, Australia
- March 24th 2016: Factory Theatre, Sydney, Australia
- March 26th 2016: Bluesfest, Byron Bay, Australia
- March 27th 2016: Bluesfest, Byron Bay, Australia
- March 28th 2016: Bluesfest, Byron Bay, Australia
- April 9th 2016: Regent Theater, Los Angeles, California
- April 10th 2016: The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, California
- April 12th 2016: Aladdin Theatre, Portland, Oregon
- April 13th 2016: Neptune Theatre, Seattle, Washington
- April 14th 2016: The Rio Theatre, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- April 17th 2016: The Cedar, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- April 18th 2016: Thalia Hall, Chicago, Illinois
- April 19th 2016: The Crofoot Ballroom, Pontiac, Michigan
- April 21st 2016: Adelaide Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- April 22nd 2016: La Tulipe, Montreal, Québec, Canada
- April 23rd 2016: College Street Music Hall, New Haven, Connecticut
- April 25th 2016: Royale, Boston, Massachusetts
- April 26th 2016: Gramercy Theatre, New York City, New York
- April 29th 2016: 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
- April 30th 2016: Cat's Cradle,Carrboro, North Carolina
- May 1st 2016: Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, Georgia
- May 3rd 2016: Texas Theatre, Dallas, Texas
- May 4th 2016: Marchesa Hall, Austin, Texas
- May 6th 2016: The Crescent Ballroon, Phoenix, Arizona
- May 8th 2016: Belly Up Tavern. Solana Beach, California
- July 2nd 2016: Krugozor Club, Moscow, Russia
- Blue Rosebuds (Shadowland) (2014)
- Theory Of Obscurity Soundtrack (2014)
- Party Band (2009-2015 40th Anniversary) (2014)
- Shadow Stories (2015)
- Shadowland (2015)
- Theory Of Obscurity: A Film About The Residents (2016)
- Commercial Album pREServed edition (2019)